The Allman Brothers Band have been considered pioneers of the southern rock and the jam band scene. Until their final show in 2014, the band played across the country to adoring crowds who relished their revolutionary rock ‘n’ roll sounds. Gregg Allman, who passed away just last year, was one of the greatest blues-rock singers of his generation. His childhood friend and bandmate, Butch Trucks, who helped lay the foundation for southern-rock drumming, also passed away just months before Gregg. The two shared a deep bond that carried them through a lifetime of friendship and music. To honor their far-reaching musical impact, we celebrate their legacy with the Friends of the Brothers featuring members of the Gregg Allman Band, Dickey Betts and the Great Southern, and more on Sunday, March 25 at Brooklyn Bowl New York. In anticipation of this upcoming tribute show, we ask you to join us in admiring their timeless music with some of their most inspiring lyrics that will encourage you to shine a little brighter, each and every day.
1. “Gotta let your soul shine, shine till the break of day”
Rainy days or sunshine rays, you gotta let your soul shine through!
2. “I’ve come to realize I still have two strong legs, and even wings to fly. So I, ain’t wastin time no more”
Time is precious, and so are you, so live life to the fullest
3. “Don’t be discouraged when the sun don’t shine, gotta keep on pulling, you gotta keep on tryin’, everybody’s got a mountain to climb”
Let the tough times be even more encouragement to keep reaching for the top!
4. “You know the whole world loves you when you’re dancing”
If dancing’s what makes you happy, never stop.
5. “You’re the sun and as you shine on me I feel free”
The day will be what you make it, so rise, like the sun, and shine!
6. “But I want a spoon of your precious love, that’s good enough for me”
Let the healing power of love soothe your soul.
7. “Got to believe in believing, got to believe in a dream”
Betting on yourself is the best bet you could ever make.
8. “Cause I know there’s a God up in heaven who must love rock and roll”
Always remember to rock ‘n’ roll to the beat of your own drum.
9. “Gonna boogie all night; There ain’t nobody tell me that’s crime”
A little dancing never hurt nobody!
10. “The guitars they played and the singers made rhyme. It was a good time for being free.”
Music has many positive side effects, especially feeling free
11. “People can you feel it? Love is everywhere. People can you hear it? Love is in the air.”
Let your love radiate and watch how the world changes around you for the better.
12. “Their passions flowed like a deep running river. They had nothing left to lose and everything to gain”
Stay true to your passions, you’ve got nothing to lose
13. “Pull myself together, put on a new face. Climb down off the hilltop, baby, get back in the race”
You’re capable of anything you put your mind to. Now get out there and do it!
14. “You’re my blue sky, you’re my sunny day.”
Aspire to be your own idea of a perfect day
Thursday, Nov 8th
Marc Millman has been covering shows at Brooklyn Bowl since we opened our doors in 2009. On Tuesday, November 13, we’re honored to host him for his 50th Birthday celebration...
Friday, Oct 26th
We’ve teamed up with Pacifico Beer to offer one lucky fan the chance to bowl with Corey of The Main Squeeze at Brooklyn Bowl New York on Thursday, November 1!...
Monday, Jun 25th
We’re beyond excited to celebrate another journey around the sun at Brooklyn Bowl’s 9th Anniversary Celebration presented by Pacifico on July 5, 6, 7, and 8! In honor of 9...
Friday, May 18th
Sofi Tukker exploded into the dance-pop world, armed with their tropical beats and catchy hooks on the release of their first EP Soft Animals in 2016. Since then, the NYC-based duo have...
Monday, May 7th
“After seeing this band, you’ll never think of the Golden Arches in the same way ever again.” – The Bold Italic “The humorous McDonald’s–themed Black Sabbath cover band Mac Sabbath…will...
Monday, May 7th
We’re excited to host the album release party for the Tuareg guitar master, Bombino on Wednesday, May 9 following day 2 of the Relix Music Conference at Brooklyn Bowl New...
Tuesday, Apr 24th
We can’t wait for 2 nights with Sister Sparrow & the Dirty Birds this week! Starting off with a tribute one of the greatest soul singers of our time, Sister...
Wednesday, Apr 4th
For 3 nights this April, 4 musicians from 1 of Africa’s most musically rich countries are coming to Brooklyn Bowl to present their revered art to the world. An ongoing crisis that broke...
Thursday, Mar 29th
The long-awaited release of Kool Keith, Dan the Automator, and DJ Qbert’s sophomore album is finally here! The mystical extraterrestrial, also known as Dr. Octagon, makes a triumphant return in...
Thursday, Mar 22nd
We’re still in awe of the unrivaled energy that is SXSW. The Brooklyn Bowl Family Reunion in partnership with Harley-Davidson and Sailor Jerry, our first events EVER in the great...
Friday, Mar 9th
Infected Mushroom, the kings of psychedelic trance, are unleashing their contagious electronic beats in Brooklyn for 2 nights on Wednesday, March 14, and Thursday, March 15! Accompanied by a live band, Infected...
Thursday, Mar 1st
The Allman Brothers Band have been considered pioneers of the southern rock and the jam band scene. Until their final show in 2014, the band played across the country to...